Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's a Bear!


     Since Jaron and I got married I have been going to work with him.  I didn’t go everyday but I did go a few times.  It was too hard to pull all nighters everyday.  So going to work with him every night was fun because we got to spend time together.  I got to see what he did and I got to experience being up close to deer and elk.  Before going to work with him I could never tell the difference between the two, but now I am a pro! In going to work with him I was also able to go to a few towns in Utah I had never heard of; Ephraim, Moroni, Whales, and a few others. 
     Shooting at deer and elk is fun and all but not as fun as going to a bear den.  That’s right I had the opportunity to hike to a bear den with the DWR.
     We set out early for Springville where we were meeting.  Once we got to the division office we all headed off to canyon we were hiking.  It was so cold.  The sun was shining and snow was melting but there was no sun shining directly on us. I was sure the day would be awful since it was cold.  Oh was I wrong. 
     After the first two hundred yards of the hike I was ready to turn around.  It was straight up and we were hauling! I have never hiked so fast in my entire life that might be because I don’t hike too much.  Once we got past that part the hike got easier.  No I did not say easy, but easier.  Most of it was at a gradual incline and I could handle that. 
     Once we had hiked a mile and half and hiked two thousand feet of elevation the bear was being tracked on the machine.  Jaron and a BYU intern for the division left the group to go and find where exactly the den was.  The rest of the group was standing on the other side of the valley watching them.  After they were searching for about ten minutes Jarons dad went over to help the find which den the bear was in.  Within another ten minutes or so the bear was found and the rest of us headed over.  I thought the first part of the hike was awful but by far this was.  We had to hike through snow and trees surrounded us.  This bear could not of made our lives anymore difficult.  She had dug her hole in an area where it was almost impossible to get to. But don’t you worry we did it!
     When the rest of the group finally reached the den Jaron was all the way in the hole. It was kind of strange seeing my husband completely buried sticking his head right toward a bears.  I did not like it but he was drugging the bear.  When the mamma bear was finally out Jaron pulled out two baby cubs.  They were so cute!
For the next twenty minutes we got to hold the babies and take pictures with the mamma. 
     I told Jaron I wanted to take the baby home but that wasn’t allowed.  I guess that’s fine since once it grew up it would get really mean. Once the cubs and mamma bear were back in the den we were on our way back to the truck. Time for another hike, it’s a good thing it was mostly all downhill. 


No comments:

Post a Comment