Monday, July 11, 2011

A weekend full of firsts... for Jaron

Three weeks ago, yes I am way behind on blogging, Jaron and I went camping with our friends Heidi and Bobby. Jaron and Bobby served together in Brazil and now we live in the same building as them. Friday afternoon we set off for the Mesa falls area. We got to the first campsite and they were full. When we found that out we continued to drive to the next campsite.  We got there and well, they were full too. At this point I was staring to think that our camping trip would be a bust. After going to two campsites and finding out both were full I honestly thought all was lost. Oh was I wrong. As we were leaving the camp host mentioned an unconventional camp site just a mile up the road.  Before heading up the road we decided to stop at the lower falls. Jaron had never been to Mesa Falls and he needed to get the full experience.



After stopping at the falls we were on our way to the campsite. After driving for ten minutes of the turn off I started to loose hope. How far could a campsite be. As we continued to drive we camp upon a man on the side of the road. At this point I really thought we were heading off to a place where we would get murdered because it was so sketchy.  He said there was a campsite just down the road so we kept going. When we finally got to the campsite I was so happy. It was a real place and there were other people camping. Come to find out we were not getting set up to die. It was a beautiful place and we found the perfect place to set up camp. We set up right next to a stream shaded by the trees with a campfire bit right next to the water. I thought it was a great place until the mosquitoes started attacking. Not only mosquitoes but I saw the most disgusting bug I have ever seen. When I freaked out and showed Jaron he picked it up. I was completely grossed out and not too happy to see that he was enjoying what was bothering me.



So we didn’t set up the traditional campsite. We didn’t even set up tents. Really though, who needs to set up tents when you have a large enough car to make a bed in. That’s right we slept in our cars. Because of that camp set up was extremely easy.  Not only did we sleep in our cars but we brought our BBQs to make dinner.  We made steamed BBQ vegetables, the most amazing chicken, potato salad and other finger foods. We were living large while camping if you ask me. After eating we just hung out by the campfire and enjoyed our night under the stars. 








Monday morning after breakfast we headed to the main falls. It was the perfect day to go and I was so excited to be there with Jaron..  Mesa Falls is honestly such a beautiful place and such a neat experience to be standing over a waterfall. Especially in Idaho! Who knew there was so much to do here?



After the falls we drove back to Rexburg then headed right back out the door. Our next adventure for the day was Egin Lake. Jaron had never been there as well and we were due to hang out with Nikki and Robby. Jaron and I were on the road once again. When we got there I noticed things were completely different then they were two years before. First off there was a paved dirt road, second you had to pay to enter. So lame if you ask me. Well Jaron and I didn’t have any cash on us, lesson learned always have some cash on you.  When Nikki and Robby arrived we drove to the campsite next to Egin lake and bought an ice cream cone. Apparently if you make any purchase there you can park there. Once we parked we hopped into one car and were on our way.  It was honestly such an amazing day at the lake and I am so sad Nikki left us for Utah. 

When Jaron and I were finally home for the day we slept and that’s all we did. We took a three-hour nap I think. We are too old to be in the sun all day and going non-stop. Overall it was an amazing weekend and it was amazing to introduce Jaron to some of the amazing places in Idaho. 

No comments:

Post a Comment